Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In | Join
Practicing in NYS
Share |
Current CRNAs

Q) I am planning on moving to New York State (NYS). What documentation do I need in order to practice there?

     A) In order for a CRNA to practice in New York, the individual must apply for their NYS RN license from the Division of Liscensure and provide any documentation to the New York State Education Department, Office of Professions. In addition, they must also have passed the certification exam and maintain recertification (which can be verified via the National Board of Certification & Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists at

Q) Is an updated Infection Control Course and a Child Abuse Identification Course required?

     A) A recent infection control and child abuse course is require for all registered nurses in the NYS.  Therefore all CRNA documentation must also be up to date.

Q) I have my APN license from another state. Where can I obtain APN licensure in New York?

    A) New York State does not have APN licensure for CRNAs. Therefore you do not need to apply for anything other than your NYS RN license.

Q) May I practice as a CRNA without physician supervision?

    A) No. CRNAs are required to work with  a supervising physician (surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc.) and thus cannot work 100% independently on their own. For more information on this topic you can visit which provides more detailed state to state information.

Q) Can CRNAs prescribe in NYS?

     A) No. Currently, CRNAs in NYS do not have prescriptive privileges.




Is to be the advocate for and authority on the nurse anesthetist practice in New York State



New York State Association of Nurse Anesthetists
c/o McKenna Management
4 Lan Drive Suite 310
Westford, MA 01886